Objectives of the Campaign
- Detection of early breast cancer thus allowing early intervention and treatment
- Reduce breast cancer mortality and morbidity by increasing the availability of cancer education and screening
- Reduce the financial burden of breast cancer in the long run
- Promote women's health by increasing awareness
- Must be a citizen or resident of the Kingdom of Bahrain
- Must be 40 years of age or older.
- Should not have had any breast surgery or treatment for breast cancer in the past
- Should not have had a mammogram within the previous 12 months
- Should not be pregnant
The Ministry of Health allocated 5 health centers to provide the most convenient coverage in different areas of the Kingdom. It also provided a weekly breast assessment clinic at the Salmaniya Medical Complex run by a team of specialized doctors to review reports and provide the appropriate management for the positive cases in due course. Mammograms Films are sent from all the centers to a centralized screening administration office at Dar Roufaidh. A specialized radiologist reads the films on a daily basis. Suspicious cases are referred to the breast assessment clinic at Salmaniya for additional imaging or procedure (Ultrasound, FNAC, Additional imaging, etc). Positive cases are referred to a team of surgeons for the appropriate management.
Screening is absolutely FREE OF CHARGE and is held 6 days a week at the following medical centers:
- Hamad Kanoo Medical Center (Issa Town)
- National Bank of Bahrain Medical Center (Aarad)
- Naim Medical Center (Manama)
- Al Aali Medical Center (Al Aali)
- Mohamad Jassim Kanoo Medical Center (Madinat Hamad)
All five centers are equipped with the latest Mammography machines and diagnostic equipment. These machines are tested and maintained on regular basis by highly trained engineers from the Ministry of Health. The mammogram is performed by a highly trained technician and requires only 15-20 minutes performing.
In order to assure that adequate and appropriate data are collected, a set of minimum data essentials were developed that must be collected. These include demographic, results of mammography examination and referral diagnostic evaluation, stage of cancer at the time of diagnosis and treatment information (if applicable).
For the purpose of data collection, three data collection forms were developed. These forms and any reports containing results are sent to the campaign administrative office where they are checked for completeness and accuracy.
The Bahrain Cancer Society has made it possible for all women to benefit from the screening campaign. For further information or for a mammogram appointment please call the campaign administrative office at:
17273636 or 80001818
NATIONAL CAMPAIGN FOR THE EARLY DETECTION OF BREAST DISEASE brochure (click here)
NATIONAL CAMPAIGN FOR THE EARLY DETECTION OF BREAST DISEASE sample questionnaire (click here)